A great on-the-go breakfast which you can prep before a busy week. A simple twist on an oat bar, with a smooth silky layer of peanut butter, packed with wholesome ingredients.
· 3 small ripe bananas
· 1/4 cup dried apricots, softened in water and drained
· 1/4 cup crunchy or smooth peanut butter, plus 1/2 cup for the top
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 4 tbsp maple syrup
· 1.5 cup rolled oats
· 1/2 cup almond meal
· 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
· 2 tbsp chia seeds
· 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
· 1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (fan-forced 170C). Grease and line a 20cm square baking tray.
2. Puree the bananas and apricots in a food processor until smooth. Add 1/2 cup peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract, pulse to combine.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the rolled oats, almond meal, flaxseed meal, chia seeds and ground cinnamon. Pour the peanut butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well. The mixture should be moist but not runny.
4. Spread the breakfast bar mix into the prepared baking tray and smooth the surface. Bake for 20 minutes. The middle should be firm to the touch and the edges lightly browned. Remove from the oven.
5. Spread the remaining peanut butter on top of the bars. Bake for another 10 minutes until the peanut butter has little bubbles in it.
6. Cool completely on a wire rack and sprinkle with extra chia seeds, cut into bars. They can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.