With succulent shredded chicken, tasty barley and nutritious kale in a flavourful broth, this hearty soup is perfect for the colder months.
· 1 whole chicken, cut into quarters
· 1 tbsp light extra virgin olive oil
· 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
· 1 carrot, roughly chopped
· 2 cups barley
· 4 cloves of garlic, minced
· 2 slices of ginger
· 1 parsnip or turnip, peeled, cored and diced
· 3 tbsp miso paste
· 1 tbsp of goji berries
· 1/2 bunch of kale, roughly chopped
· Optional lemon wedge to serve
1. In a large heavy-based pot, add oil, brown chicken pieces, add onion, carrot, garlic ginger and barley over a medium heat.
2. Saute for a few more minutes, add goji berries, parsnip or turnip and 2 litres of water.
3. Bring to a boil then let it simmer for 1-2 hours until the chicken is tender and the barley soft.
4. Carefully take the chicken out to shred, return the meat to the soup, add miso and kale.
5. Bring the soup back to simmer, season with salt and pepper. Add some hot water if the soup becomes too thick.
6. Optional - add a lemon wedge to serve.